I have no clue what project will make for the balance of inspired effort and practicality this semester. I am rather loaded on my time, but also dream big. I will write some of the ideas I have had in the past that will hopefully evolve into a form that fits into this balance.
First of all, my cause is to fight apathy. There is an apathy that saturates our culture's public spaces, a numb separation. Like in meeting rooms, sometimes on buses, on the street, you know what I am talking about. There is a fake quality of insulation between strangers that is encouraged by the attitude that everyone has somewhere to go, and is constantly on their way somewhere.Why is separateness the standard?
A possible answer to this is Project Playtime, which involves initiating simple games in public places, the kind of games people can play just standing in a circle.
Or I could take a more passive approach, by simply standing in public places with cardboard signs that challenge people's worldviews about the situation, like "when you see a stranger, what do you see?"
Or I could initiate a project of anonymous letter writing to random strangers in the phone book, writing inspired things or stories that would help people to realize they are not alone.
Or I could begin a project (more long term) called InspiriNation or something like that, wherein people team up to help manifest one person's dream, then the next person's dream. Small groups could work doing smaller dreams (or fun ideas), and many of these groups combined could do larger dreams. People could join knowing that after they have been a part of it for a while, putting their energy into other people's projects, everyone in the group will then focus on making their dream a reality. This could help prove the power of many hands working together in an inspired way. It could show that dreams can be realized, that people can believe in themselves, that hope is worth kindling, and that the service-to-others attitude is what makes the impossible possible.
Or I could work toward healing process by inviting people to come together and share their personal stories related to a certain topic.
That's it. :)
Daniel Daniel,
ReplyDeleteI like all your ideas for projects because I have officially joined the apathy club when riding the bus. Kids are not bound by social chains that encourage an attitude of separateness and misery when moving about our lives in public spaces. I have worked a lot with kids and have seen their willingness to be spontaneous and free in the world so it is refreshing to get in on your visions for this project.
I like the idea of InspirNation. I envision a circle discussion in which each participant gets a chance to state their dreams and any boundaries or limits they feel they have to achieving those dreams, with time for responses from the listeners. It becomes a mutually beneficial problem solving and sharing session, in which the power of many minds hold up and honor personal dreams, helping to manifest (and plan) the future. Also, unspoken passions would surface and overlap, creating connections and strengthened community. No one achieves their dreams on their own. I find that a lot of people don't even know what their dreams are when i ask, or maybe they are afraid to verbalize them. I think that it is of utmost importance to clarify our dreams and take control of our lives. This of course must be balanced with some right brain intuition, or perhaps we will become too rigid and lose sight of our hearts calling. There is a delicate balance in the grasp we have on our dreams, and it must be gauged and adjusted everyday, but in general, we all need a vision and a goal. Okay, maybe not everyone does, but i do and I feel that others desire to be engaged on a personal and collective mission.
What is your mission in this life???