Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Project Proposal

I have decided that my project will be for the purpose of deepening people's experience of interconnectedness and interdependence through food. I will make a meal for the class, and track the process each element of the meal has gone through. I will record brief interviews with people who have been involved in different parts of the process (i.e. farmer,driver,shelf-distributer, etc.), or who have more views to add to the experience of growing, shipping, buying, cooking, and eating food (i.e. critic of our food system, nutritionist, commenter on energetics, homeless person w/out much to eat, etc.). I will ask them things about the food, the process, and about themselves (i.e. what do you care about, what are your dreams, what are you thinking about when you picj these tomatoes, etc.). I will then create an auditory experience with clips of these people's statements that I will play in class while students are eating the meal. The hope is that people will feel the depth of story behind each thing that has arrived on their plate, all the hands that participated in the process and the deeply human experience of all of those people. With as globalized and corporatized as many systems of society now are, it is easy for people to feel a disconnect from the food they eat, since by the time they eat it , the story of the food feels so impersonal. By eating such food while hearing the personal remarks of the souls that carried this food to their plate, I hope that when people encounter food on their plate in the future, they will see stories, human lives, and a world of people unknown and unnamed, sorting fruit somewhere, longing for love and for peace, and trying "just like me" to create a beautiful life.

Candace, how long of time slots will we have to do our presentations in?

No comments:

Post a Comment